- Faculty & Staff
- Centennial Celebration
- Mechanical Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Department Overview
- Academy, Alumni & Corporations
- Seminars & Colloquia
- Advising Information
Flight Simulation and Training Laboratory
This facilitiy provides students with flexible flight models that simulate the flight characteristics of any fixed- or rotary-wing aircraft. These arrangements can be easily reconfigured to fit the needs of a broad range of applications.
The simulation software permits flight based on"...
- predetermined time-dependent control inputs-for testing, evaluation, and optimization of fully automatic flight control systems;
- pilot input of aircraft control-for either training or evaluation of human factors; or
- a combination of the two-for computer-augmented control development.
Aircraft aerodynamics and propulsion can be developed for best performance by entering various models or test data, flying the craft, and recording performance data. This supports the design process that students go through in the sophomore and senior years and also provides the necessary elements to code and test, as well as to integrate the software in a virtual product development environment. As early as the sophomore level, aerospace students are able to build flight simulation models for actual models they design, build and flight test.
The facility provides an excellent learning environment that complements the theoretical presentation received in courses such as Stability and Control, Propulsion, Aerodynamics, Performance, and Aircraft or Subsystem Design, as well as Human Factors Engineering.